Do you have a big presentation coming up? Are you about to go into an interview that could score you the job of your dreams? The best thing you can do is march into a space feeling confident in yourself, what you have done, and what you are able to achieve.
For some people, giving yourself a pep-talk just might not be enough to get you in the mental space you need to be to show yourself off. Telling yourself you are great over and over may cause more anxiety than it does a confidence boost.
Luckily, your body can communicate how strong and worthwhile you are to your brain for you by helping the right chemicals flow to the right places. Certain movements and poses that extend your arms and legs, help you feel your strength, and take up space around you can help to achieve this.
Here we tell you about 4 simple yoga poses that you can do in your office, room or classroom that can trigger the production of confidence-boosting cortisol and testosterone, and happiness-upping endorphins.
Pose 1: Extended Triangle Pose
- Step your right foot forward.
- Ground your back heel and turn your toes out at a 45-degree angle.
- Inhale and extend your arms up above your head, move your hips forward, and bend your knee at a 90-degree angle (Warrior pose I)
- Exhale and open your hips by turning your body and extending your arms outwards (Warrior pose II).
- Inhale, straighten your front leg, and reach toward the same leg until your hand rests on your ankle. Tilt your pelvis and bring your other arm up above your head. Exhale.
- Stay here for five to ten breaths, and repeat on the other side.
Pose 2: Warrior III
- Put your hands on your hips.
- Bring your left knee up to your chest and hold for a few seconds.
- Without touching the floor, extend your left leg behind you.
- Keep your right leg straight, and extend your arms down your sides.
- Hold for 5-10 breaths and slowly bring your leg down.
- Repeat on the other side.
Pose 3: Tree with Back Arch
- Stand tall, with your hands on your hips.
- Bend your left knee and bring it up to rest on the inside of your right thigh (or shin, if you want to be more subtle).
- Link your hands together behind you, arms extended.
- Bring hands down and lift your chest.
- Stay here for 5 deep breaths.
Pose 4: For sitting down: Seated Crescent Moon Pose
This pose will help you relax your muscles and make you feel strong and tall to reduce stress and boost confidence.
- With your feet on the ground and your back straight, lift your arms and link together your fingers with your index fingers together.
- Lean slightly to the right and take a few deep breaths.
- Repeat on the left side.
These poses will help to calm you and have you feeling strong, tall and confident. They will help to control jitters, improve posture, help you feel more grounded in your body.
Do you have a yoga pose you like to do right before a big presentation or test?