Maybe you had a rough day at the office. Perhaps you woke up feeling like it’s just one of those days and you know you’ll need a little extra something to put that pep in your step.
Or maybe you’ve spent all morning fasting just so that a set of qualified medical practitioners can poke and prod at you with needles — as it just so happens, it is precisely this type of morning that spurred me to create this concoction.
Now, I call this a smoothie, because technically I think it is one. You may consider it to be more of a pudding, however, and so I would recommend having a spoon on hand just in case.
Ingredients (to add in this order)
- 1 frozen banana – I always keep a handful of peeled, chopped bananas ready in the freezer – it ensures that you will always have a banana when you need one and it will never be too green or too ripe.
- ¼ cup pumpkin – I buy pumpkin in a can because it’s easily accessible, which allows me to add it to whatever I like.
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds – I throw some of these into all the smoothies I make because they add a wonderful natural creaminess. They can also be bought in bulk at Costco, which is stellar.
- 2 tbsps. almond butter – I always keep some of my homemade almond butter on hand, but any store bought variety should work just fine.
- 1 cup almond milk – I’ve found that Trader Joe’s Original really hits the spot but whatever you have on hand will work. Additionally, you could sub soy, coconut, or any other non-dairy milk here.
- 1 tbsp. powdered maca root(optional) – This should be available at any health food store – I happened to get mine at Whole Foods.
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil – Another awesome thing to get at Costco, although available at other places as well.
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao – Also commonly found at health food stores
- 1 tbsp. agave – For a little extra sweetness.
- A splash of vanilla – To taste, I usually add just a drop or two.
- A dash of cinnamon – Again, the amount you shake in is entirely up to you.
- ¾ cup ice
Blend It Up!
My boyfriend just so happens to think this smoothie is too nutty. Well, I think he’s nutty cause this is delicious. The best part is that you can feel great about drinking it as well as enjoying the tasty sensations caressing your taste buds.
Why I Chose Some Of The Ingredients
Hemp seeds – Not only do these make your smoothie deliciously creamy, but they also provide you with healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and Vitamin E.
Maca root – Maca is a Peruvian root vegetable that has been shown to increase blood oxygen levels, thereby increasing stamina and energy. I, however, choose to use maca because it helps support the endocrine system, alleviate issues with hypo and hyper thyroid glands. I suffer from adrenal fatigue, so my endocrine system needs all the support I can offer.
Coconut oil – Aside from adding a slight coconutty flavor to our smoothie, coconut oil aids in digestion, boosts the immune system, and contains healthy antioxidants.
Cacao – This is the magic. Cacao has the highest concentration of antioxidants of any of the superfoods. It also contains magnesium, iron, and Anandemide, a compound otherwise only produced after exercise. This compound is what makes this smoothie such a great pick-me-up!
Between the health benefits of its ingredients and the tastiness of this treat, your mood is bound to improve in no time. Enjoy!
by Natasha Boote – Natasha loves the outdoors, her pups, cooking, and yoga. She soon hopes to attend teacher training and continue sharing her passion of self-discovery and healing through yoga. Check out her blog and connect with her on Instagram.
Want to contribute as a member of the DOYOU community too? Submit your article right here!