Dolphin pose gives an awesome stretch for the arches of your feet, calves and hamstrings. It strengthens the muscles in your core, arms and legs while opening the chest and inner armpits. This pose also regulates digestion and relieves mild depression, fatigue, stress and back aches.
- From all fours, bring your elbows to the floor directly under your shoulders. To make sure it’s in proper alignment, try cupping your elbows with opposite hands.
- You have the option to clasp the hands in front of you with the elbows in place, or bring your forearms parallel to each other palms faced down.
- Curl your toes under, engage your core and lift your hips up and back like Downward Dog.
- Keep your shoulder blades away from the ears and glued to your back, opening up the heart and shining it through between the legs.
- Stay here for 5 deep breaths.
- Slowly lower down to the knees to get out of the pose.
- Actively press down on the forearms and lengthen the spine, sending the tailbone up towards the back corner of the room.
- Slightly bend the knees if you feel that your back is rounding. The goal here is to lengthen the spine, so don’t worry if your heels aren’t touching the floor. In time, the flexibility will come.
Hope you love this week’s invigorating pose!