Life is full of choices, but rarely do we get to make decisions easily. After all, there are lots of times and situations where it can be agonising trying to work out if we should stay and stick, or whether it’s time to twist and walk away.
Often we procrastinate, get caught up in lists of pros and cons, and find ourselves wading through a sea of rationality. That’s not always helpful, because it can overwhelm what our intuition and heart have to say. So if you're currently facing a situation where you have to make an important choice, I want to share with you a few questions you can ask yourself to gain clarity.
But before you begin, here are some of my suggested tips to get you in the zone:
- Set aside some time when you know you can approach the questions uninterrupted. Disconnect from the internet and turn off your phone, so you’re able to give your decision your undivided attention.
- Spend a few moments allowing the breath, body, and mind to settle. You might like to meditate, do a little yoga or maybe draw up a bath.
- Bring your question or dilemma to mind, and set an intention to answer the questions honestly – without too much thought, filtering, or judgement.
- Consider what you envision for yourself in life; your hopes, dreams and desires. What is most important to you?
Once you’re in that calm and pensive mood, then you can start. Here are the questions:
- If I do X what will it cost me?
- If I do X what will I gain?
- Is what it will cost me WORTH what I will gain?
- Will it take me towards my dream/my goal/who I aspire to be?
- Does it align with my values and vision?
Take as much time as you need. Free write; allow the pen to move across the page as words tumble from you. Don’t repress anything, this is your time and no-one but you will see what is written.
When you feel like you’ve finished, get up and move around, make a cup of tea, and then review what is there in black and white. It could be revealing and revolutionary.
Finally, don't forget to have fun. In the end, the decision you make should ultimately make you happy and bring you closer to the life you want to lead, and know that you deserve.