You don’t need a reason to help people. Let’s remember to be kind to one another, as it isn’t always apparent on the outside what the struggles we may be facing are on the inside. After all, when this is all over, all that will really matter is how we treated each other.
When we enter this world, our Kindness IQ is intact. We can keep it that way through our actions. Kindness is like a muscle; it gets stronger the more you use it, or atrophies if you don’t.
That’s not to say that some things and some people won’t test your patience. Being a kind human can sometimes be challenging! Meditation is a great way to slow down your day and take stock when you’re not feeling as kind and generous as you could. Practice being kind to yourself first with this free 30 Day Meditation Challenge. It will help you cultivate kindness for yourself, so you can then pass the good vibes onto someone else!
You don’t need a reason to be kind to people. Instead, here are 25 suggestions and ideas of ways to be kind.
1. Smile and make someone’s day a little sweeter.
2. Look for ways you can promote peace.
3. Just listen.
4. Offer a hug or embrace.
5. Invite someone new into your friend tribe.
6. Send out a kind email or card.
7. Give someone a genuine compliment.
8. Help clean up, without being asked, help someone out in a practical way.
9. Hold open the door for the person behind you.
10. Encourage a friend or family member when they are uncertain or unmotivated.
11. Make peace with someone that has hurt you.
12. Strike up a conversation with a stranger.
13. Let someone into your lane while driving.
14. Pay for the person behind you in line.
15. Give your time to a friend or someone who needs it.
16. Say Thank You and Please everyday without fail.
17. Meditate on loving kindness: “May you be happy, healthy, peaceful, and free from suffering, and may my actions in some way contribute to the happiness, health, peace, and freedom for all.
18. Say “I love you” a little more often to your family and friends.
19. Pause before you speak, and choose words with positive intention.
20. Help someone get some rest (watch their kids, run an errand, bring them dinner, etc).
21. Pick up litter you see thrown about even if its not yours.
22. Remove complaints and curses for one week.
23. Gift something meaningful to someone: loan a book, bring flowers, drop off cookies, whatever suits your fancy.
24. Make a donation.
25. Give up your seat, or for that matter, move your yoga mat in class, with positive intent.
I am dedicating myself to inspire everyone to bring kindness to the forefront. Let’s be more active in our efforts not because we have to, but because we want to. And not even because others have been kind to us but because being nice is the way of the heart.
Kindness is always a choice. The more conditioned we are to respond with kindness, the more natural it becomes. It is on purpose with purpose. Today, join me in starting a kindness movement, and together we can raise our global Kindness IQ!
Which ways do you try to show kindness every day? Share your tips and tricks with us below!