It’s something that, at one time or another, we all have probably wondered: How did I ever live without my smartphone? And it’s true that these phones have completely revolutionized daily life.
Need directions? Ask Siri! Can’t decide where to eat? Consult Yelp! Having the whole internet and hundreds of awesome apps available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is awesome—-but it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. It’s all too easy to become addicted to your smartphone.
If you find yourself doing any of the below, it may be time to re-evaluate your relationship with your smartphone. After all, you can’t live a mindful lifestyle if your mind is always in an internet cloud!
1. You unconsciously reach for your phone when you’re bored. It’s pretty much a reflex.
2. Leaving your phone at home gives you heart palpitations.
3. You pretend to be listening…but you’re actually checking your Instagram feed.
4. You panic when you don’t see your phone anywhere.
5. It’s the last thing you see when you go to sleep and the first thing you see in the morning.
6. You can’t bear to turn your phone off. Thank goodness for airplane mode!
7. You check your phone for new notifications every 15 minutes.
8. No new ‘likes’ on Facebook or Instagram? That makes you genuinely sad.
9. You find the scroll motion extremely comforting.
10. Your battery is ALWAYS low. But not because you’re on it too much…Right?
All joking aside, addiction to your phone can actually cause problems with sleep, attention, and even relationships. We all probably do these things at one time or another; but it’s never too late to be mindful about your cell phone use!
How many of these signs do you relate to, and have you ever tried to break the addiction? We want to hear it in the comment section!